Quantum Design Careers
Interested in a career opportunity at Quantum Design? Our corporate offices are located in San Diego, CA, where we have a variety of career opportunities in different departments such as: Accounting, Customer Service, Documentation, Engineering, Human Resources, IT, Manufacturing, Marketing, Quality Control and Sales.
At Quantum Design, we want to create an environment that offers challenging and rewarding opportunities to our employees. We believe our employees drive the success of our company, and that belief created our Core Values:
Build a desirable workplace for all our employees.
Develop high quality instruments based on innovative technology.
Satisfy every customer to the best of our ability.
Run the company with clarity and courage.
Low-Temperature Physicist / Cryogenic Microscopy Engineer
Permanent, full-time position located in San Diego, CA.
We are seeking a low-temperature Ph.D. physicist or engineer to develop, enhance, and champion Quantum Design's next generation of magneto-optical measurement options and products. The successful candidate will have a strong background in microscopy and optical techniques and demonstrate significant design abilities. The candidate should also have strong written and verbal communication skills. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in cryogenics techniques and low-temperature microscopy.
Education: Ph.D. in Physics or Electrical Engineering is required.
Experience and Training: The candidate should have 3+ years of experience in scanning probe microscopy or optical microscopy / spectroscopy, including the use of nanopositioners. This experience should include the successful application of this technique(s) to a relevant materials or experimental system. Preference will be given to candidates that have experience with one or more of these techniques in low-temperature cryogenics environments, such as helium cryostat or dilution refrigerators. Recent graduates as well as more experienced candidates are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills: Strong design ability, broad understanding of optical or microscopy techniques (laser optics, AFM, SPM, nanopositioners), experience with low-temperature cryogenic techniques and good communication skills. Experience with CAD software a plus.
Located in San Diego, California, Quantum Design, Inc. is the leading commercial source for automated materials characterization systems incorporating superconducting technology. Quantum Design's instruments may be found in the world's leading research institutions, and have become the reference standard for a variety of magnetic and physical property measurements. Quantum Design's. instruments are cited in, and provide the data for, more scientific publications than any other instrument in the fields of magnetics and materials characterization. This means that each year, literally hundreds of scientific publications, advancing the science of materials, use data generated from Quantum Design's instruments.
- Design, implement, and verify embedded firmware written in C and C++, for cryogenic systems and subsystems.
- Active participation in all phases of development, from requirements capture through deployment and maintenance.
- Design, implement, and verify test tools, utilities, and frameworks in a variety of compiled and interpreted languages, as needed to support embedded firmware development.
- Design, implement, and verify control system algorithms and signal processing blocks in discrete time domain.
- Design, implement, and verify simulation models for cryogenic systems and subsystems.
- Position requires a MS in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering.
- Laboratory experience with measuring instruments and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to write production code in C, C++, any DotNet language, and Python.
- Experience coding for SPI, I2C, CAN, and asynchronous communications.
- Will have a Masters or PhD in targeted fields.
- Formal training in both DSP and Control Systems.
- Direct experience with closed-loop and/or open-loop motion control systems.
- Direct experience writing units tests and regression tests.
- Publications and/or patents specific to embedded applications.
- Familiarity with industry standards including MISRA and IEEE-829 and -830.
Specialty Assembler / Compressor Assembler
This position is responsible for performing various electronic / mechanical assemblies. Assigned projects range from simple to intermediately complicated, requiring attention to instruction and detail and the ability to read blue prints and wiring diagrams.
- Assembles compressors and other equipment as needed.
- Knows how to use and knows the safety procedures for hand tools such as electric drills, screwdrivers, wrenches and other hand tools.
- Assists in preparing goods to ship.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to read and follow written instruction in the English language such as blueprints and wiring diagrams.
- Able to use hand tools in a safe manner.
- Able to follow verbal instructions given in the English language.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid California Driver’s license.
- Must have EPA Section 608 Universal Certification.
How to Apply
Click the "Apply Now" button under each job opportunity listing and attach your resume to the email.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Quantum Design is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions, policies and practices are in accordance with applicable federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws. Quantum Design will not tolerate or engage in unlawful discrimination including any form of unlawful harassment, on account of a person's sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, sexual preference or orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military status, veteran status, handicap, disability, or membership in any protected group.