3 Tesla, Cryogen-free Physical Property Measurement System
Quantum Design introduces its first portable, cryogen-free cryocooler-based material characterization platform – VersaLab. With a temperature range of 50 – 400K, this 3 tesla platform is perfect for accomplishing many types of materials characterization in a limited space.
As with all Quantum Design instruments, VersaLab is a fully automated turnkey system with a user-friendly interface, and utilizes technology developed for Quantum Design’s popular Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS®). VersaLab is specifically designed for material characterization up to 3 tesla and over a wide temperature range without the need of liquid cryogens. Utilizing a new approach to cryocooler equipment design, VersaLab employs a new 4He-based temperature control system and gas flow technology that eliminates the need for liquid cryogens.
VersaLab gives the user:
- Free space in the lab because of its compact size and portability
- Free time while the automated instrument performs measurements
- Freedom from liquid cryogens
- Freedom from cooling water and high power requirements
- A single hardware configuration for all temperatures, fields, and magnetic moments
PPMS VersaLab and Education
Quantum Design Education is a website dedicated to the use of the PPMS VersaLab for education and research. This site offers free experimental modules highlighting the measurement options available on this platform.
Integrated VersaLab Measurement Applications
Heat Capacity Option
- Completely automated relaxation technique from 50 - 400 K
- Integrated data acquisition electronics and analysis software
Thermal Transport Option
AC Resistivity ρ
- Measured by using precision DSP current source and phase-sensitive voltage detection.
Thermal Conductivity κ
- Measured by applying heat from the heater shoe in order to create a user-specified temperature differential between the two thermometer shoes.
Seebeck Coefficient α
- Measured by creating a specified temperature drop between the two thermometer shoes - just as it does to measure thermal conductivity. However, for Seebeck coefficient the voltage drop created between the thermometer shoes is also monitored.
Thermoelectric Figure of Merit ZT
- Determined here simply as the algebraic combination α2T /(κρ) of the three measured quantities - thermal conductivity, Seebeck coefficient, and AC electrical resistivity.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer Option (VSM)
- RMS Sensitivity: < 10-6 emu with 1 sec averaging
- Optional VSM Oven up to 1000 K
Torque Magnetometry Option
- Measures the magnetic torque = mBsinθ
- Designed to measure moments of very small anisotropic samples
- Moment Sensitivity: 3 x 10-7 emu at 3T
AC Susceptibility Option (ACMS II)
- AC Susceptibility
- Sensitivity: 1 x 10-8 emu
- Amplitude: 0.005 Oe – 15 Oe (peak)
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz – 10 KHz
- Direct phase nulling technique measures and cancels background AC phase shifts at every measurement
- DC Magnetization
- Sensitivity: 5 x 10-6 emu
- Choice of UV or IR Rod
- UV >90% transmittance 325 nm - 900 nm
- IR >90% transmittance 375 nm - 2250 nm
- Sample holder volume 2.68 mm3
- Moment Sensitivity <10-4 emu
- Choice of 150 W or 300 W light source
- Xenon Arc Lamp
- 10 position filter wheel
- 9 bandpass filters (436 nm, 470 nm, 500 nm, 530 nm, 555 nm, 585 nm, 640 nm, 740 nm, 850 nm)
DC Resistivity Option
- Four independent channels for performing DC resistivity
- Temperature Range: 50-400 K
- Current Range: 2 nA to 8 mA
- Sample Resistance Range: Up to 5 MOhm
Electrical Transport Option (ETO)
- For performing AC Resistance, Hall Effect, I-V, and Differential Resistance (dV/dI vs. I) measurements.
- 1nV sensitivity, 10 nΩ resolution at 100 mA
- AC and DC drive amplitude 10 nA to 100 mA
- Resistance ranges from 10 µΩ to 5 GΩ
Horizontal Sample Rotator
- Thermometer located on rotator platform
- Precision, stepper controlled rotator
- Step Size: 0.013 degrees (standard); 0.0011 degrees (high resolution)
- Angle Range: -10 degrees to 370 degrees
- Direct axial ports to the sample stage are provided to install light pipes, fiber optic cables, microwave guides and/or extra electrical leads.
High Pressure Cell for Magnetometry
Introducing a novel, high pressure cell for magnetometry that allows easier sample insertion and removal without the need of an hydraulic press. This pressure cell, manufactured by HMD, comes in a complete kit that contains all the accessories you will need to aid in the characterization of your samples.
Benefits of the HMD Pressure Cell:
- All BeCu design for more uniform magnetic background
- No copper ring seal ensures easy sample removal
- All necessary accessories conveniently packaged
- Compatible with VSM transport
- No hydraulic press necessary
- Maximum Applied Pressure – 1.3 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 1.7 or 2.2 mm
- Sample Space Length – 7 mm max
- Cell Diameter – 8.5 mm
- Temperature Range – 50 to 400K
** Please Note: Requires VSM and Large Bore Coil Set **
Hydrostatic Pressure Cell for Electrical Measurements
Introducing a hydrostatic pressure cell for electrical measurements designed for use in all PPMS platform instruments (PPMS, DynaCool, VersaLab) . This pressure cell, manufactured by ElectroLab, is compatible with Quantum Design’s DC Resistivity, ACT and ETO measurement options.
Benefits of the ElectroLab Pressure Cell:
- Based on BeCu pressure cell technology
- Integrated external thermometer
- 10 sample leads (5 twisted pairs)
- Compatible with all QD PPMS platforms
- Manufactured by the leading supplier of hydrostatic pressure cells in Japan
- Several press sets also available
- Maximum Applied Load – 3.0 GPa
- Maximum Sample Pressure – 2.7 GPa
- Sample Space Diameter – 4.0 mm
- Sample Space Length – 6.0 mm max
- Temperature Range – 50 to 400K
NanOsc FMR Spectrometers
The CryoFMR spectrometer is a plug and play system that allows broadband CPW-FMR characterization with lock-in capability. It includes its own RF frequency source as well as lock-in detection module, so that the only parts required to conduct an experiment are a computer for software control and a PPMS platform. Temperature range: 50 K to 400 K. Frequency Range 2 to 17 GHz.