Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS®)
The Quantum Design PPMS represents a unique concept in laboratory equipment: an open architecture, variable temperature-field system, designed to perform a variety of automated measurements. Use the PPMS with our specially-designed measurement options, or easily adapt it to your own experiments. Sample environment controls include fields up to ±16 tesla and temperature range of 1.9 - 400 K. Its advanced expandable design combines many features in one instrument to make the PPMS the most versatile system of its kind.
Cryogen-Free Option Available Now! The Quantum Design PPMS EverCool-II® is an exciting cryogen-free enhancement to our industry-leading Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS) product line. Available in all new systems, or as an upgrade to your existing PPMS.
- Sealed sample chamber with 2.6 cm diameter sample access.
- EverCool-II – cryogen-free cooling technology.
- Versatile sample mounts couple easily to the 12 electrical leads built into the cryostat insert.
- The PPMS is controlled by the Model 6000, a sophisticated microprocessor-controlled device that eliminates the need to use or purchase external bridges, current or voltage sources, or lock-in amplifiers.
- Continuous Low-Temperature Control – maintains temperature below 4.2 K for indefinite periods of time and offers smooth temperature transitions when warming and cooling through 4.2 K.
- Temperature Sweep Mode.
- User Experiments – External instruments may be controlled automatically using an integrated Visual Basic interface within our Windows-based MultiVu control software or by controlling external Visual C++, Delphi or Visual Basic programs. Click here for more details. In addition, our Grapher utility displays data as it is being collected.
PPMS Magnet Options
- Select from 7, 9, 14 and 16 tesla magnets.
- Or order a system with no magnet and add a magnet when needed.
- A split-coil 7 tesla transverse magnet is also available.
Integrated PPMS Measurement Applications
Low Temperature Stages
Helium-3 Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation down to 0.5 K
- Designed for heat capacity and resistivity measurements
Dilution Refrigerator Option
- Continuous operation from 4 K down to 50 mK
- Designed for heat capacity and electro-transport measurements
Heat Capacity Option
- Completely automated relaxation technique from 1.9 - 400 K
- Integrated data acquisition electronics and analysis software
Thermal Transport Option
AC Resistivity ρ
- Measured by using precision DSP current source and phase-sensitive voltage detection (AC Transport).
Thermal Conductivity κ
- Measured by applying heat from the heater shoe in order to create a user-specified temperature differential between the two thermometer shoes.
Seebeck Coefficient α
- Measured by creating a specified temperature drop between the two thermometer shoes - just as it does to measure thermal conductivity. However, for Seebeck coefficient the voltage drop created between the thermometer shoes is also monitored.
Thermoelectric Figure of Merit ZT
- Determined here simply as the algebraic combination α2T /(κρ) of the three measured quantities - thermal conductivity, Seebeck coefficient, and AC electrical resistivity.
Vibrating Sample Magnetometer Option (VSM)
- RMS Sensitivity: < 10-6 emu with 1 sec averaging
- Optional VSM Oven up to 1000 K
Torque Magnetometry Option
- Measures the magnetic torque = mBsinθ
- Designed to measure moments of very small anisotropic samples
AC Susceptibility & DC Magnetization Option (ACMS)
- Digital signal processing for increased sensitivity: 10-8 emu (AC); 2.5 x 10-5 emu (DC)
- Direct phase nulling technique measures and cancels background AC phase shifts at every measurement
Ultra Low Field Option (ULF)
- Reduces residual field to < 0.1 G
AC Transport Option
- For performing AC Resistivity, Hall Effect, I-V Curve Tracing, and Critical Current measurements
- 1 nV sensitivity, nΩ resolution at 2 A
- Drive amplitude 10 μA to 2 A
DC Resistivity Option
- Four independent channels for performing DC resistivity
Electrical Transport Option (ETO)
- For performing AC Resistance, Hall Effect, I-V, and Differential Resistance (dV/dI vs. I) measurements.
- 1nV sensitivity, 10 nΩ resolution at 100 mA
- AC and DC drive amplitude 5 nA to 100 mA
- Resistance ranges from 10 µΩ to 5 GΩ
Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators
- Thermometer located on rotator platform.
- Precision, stepper controlled rotator.
- Direct axial ports to the sample stage are provided to install light pipes, fiber optic cables, microwave guides and/or extra electrical leads.
PPMS SPM by attocube Systems
PPMS SPM Features:
Microscopy options include:
- PPMS EverCool II
- Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM)
- Heat Capacity and Helium-3
- Electrical Transport (ETO)
- Thermal Transport
- PPMS 16 Tesla
- PPMS Dilution Refrigerator